[clue-tech] fighting with CUPS

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Mon Aug 4 12:51:08 MDT 2008

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Roy J. Tellason wrote:

> I had CUPS working here on a server box,  which is currently down,  and am
> trying to get it working to the extent of being able to plug the printer into
> my laptop here.
>
> I'm getting 403 errors.  I can't seem to locate what I need to fiddle with to
> fix that.
>
> Any suggestions?

Has slackware resolved the problem that by default a full software install
puts in CUPS, then puts in LPNG.  This results in lp/lpr commands that don't
talk to CUPS.

The major problems I've had with CUPS have been solved by:

(a) uninstalling the LPRNG (or is it LPNG, can't recall), and CUPS,
then re-installing the CUPS package.

(b) Fiddling with the .ppd file.  At one point, I had to fish the .ppd
file off the CD that came with my printer (Brother 5070N), as the "Foomatic"
generated PPD did not work, erroring out in a very confusing fashion.

As of Slackware 11.0, the Foomatic-generated PPD file works for me.

I have only installed 12.0 on one computer that's partially disassembled
right now, so I can't even go check on how 12.0 does it.  I'm still running
11.0 or 11.1 on my day-to-day boxes.