[clue-tech] Linux HAMs?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 4 13:02:13 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> I know there's at least one HAM on the list.
>
> I'm not a HAM operator. There's a blogger I frequent who is setting up an
> old machine, and wants to use it for HAM operations. I of course
> commented that he should use Linux. Anyone who knows about using Linux
> for HAM, either reply here, and I'll point him to the archives, or
> comment over at this place.
>
> http://blogonomicon.blogspot.com/2008/08/kind-of-good-deal.html
>
> Thanks,
> jed

Jed,

I'm a ham operator, but I don't really use Linux for hamming... too much
software available for Win/Mac platforms that performs better than the
Linux/open-source equivalents.  But I've played with some of it.

Ask him what he wants to do (some things are good, some things aren't on
Linux).

Debian and derivatives (by far) have the best ham stuff and the most
updated from upstream... the debian-hams list is also quiet but active
enough that there's life there...

There was also a Live CD "ham radio distro" at one point, but I can't
recall what its name was.  It was debian-based, but was targeted at
booting from CD, doing some radio stuff, and then taking the CD out...
didn't seem too useful to me, since I would have to mess around with
mounting storage for things like logging contacts, etc.

What's your friend's callsign?  Since I'm a club president, I pretty
much have to say this, but... he can give me a call if he wants!  :-)

Have him send me an e-mail off-list and I'll give him other contact
info.  Or if he's not e-mail centric, have him leave a voice message for
me on the club's voice mail.  303-840-4272.  (Colorado Repeater
Association -- our yucky website I haven't updated in a long time is at
http://www.w0cra.org )

Nate (Amateur Radio callsign: WY0X)