[clue-tech] fighting with CUPS

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Tue Aug 5 21:58:09 MDT 2008

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 23:02, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > I had CUPS working here on a server box,  which is currently down,  and
> > am trying to get it working to the extent of being able to plug the
> > printer into my laptop here.
> >
> > I'm getting 403 errors.  I can't seem to locate what I need to fiddle
> > with to fix that.
>
> 403 is an access issue.  You need to allow your IP or subnet or user or
> something.  I've found this helpful:
>
> http://avasys.jp/hp/page000000600/hpg000000556.htm

I am finding it helpful too.  It refers to "location" in that file and on
looking there I see this stuff:

<Location />
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From 127.0.0.1
</Location>

And while trying 127.0.0.1:631 in my browser I get what I'd expect,  instead
of the 403 error I'd been getting I got the standard CUPS stuff I would
expect.

I'm wondering now if the machine being powered off for some time today had
anything to do with that,  as I don't usually power it down.  Though I *did*
restart CUPS as someone else had suggested...

-
M Dakin