[clue-tech] fighting with CUPS

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Wed Aug 6 08:57:41 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 00:43, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > <Location />
> > Order Deny,Allow
> > Deny From All
> > Allow From 127.0.0.1
> > </Location>
> >
> > And while trying 127.0.0.1:631 in my browser I get what I'd expect,
> > instead of the 403 error I'd been getting I got the standard CUPS stuff I
> > would expect.
>
> Could you have been using the machine's name in your URL?  With that
> location config you'd have to use localhost or the loopback address to
> get in.  If you use the regular IP (or a name that resolves to it)
> you'll get a 403.

I might've been using the machine's other IP address,  192.168.0.102...

> > I'm wondering now if the machine being powered off for some time today
> > had anything to do with that,  as I don't usually power it down.  Though
> > I *did* restart CUPS as someone else had suggested...
>
> I doubt it.  But maybe CUPS was running with an old config and
> restarting it got you to a good one.

It worked okay for that one document.  The other thing I wanted to print was a
*.doc file,  and OpenOffice read the file just fine but doesn't seem to see
the printer at all so now I need to try and puzzle out how to add that in
there.  It's asking for a "command line" in there someplace.

I tried the "export as PDF" option and then tried to print the file from KPDF,
but although I saw some activity on the lights on the printer,  indicating
some data transfer going on,  nothing came out...

-
M Dakin