[clue-tech] DHCP Server and Package Install Date

Sun Aug 10 19:39:21 MDT 2008

Over the course of the weekend, I have wanted some bits of information that I haven't
been able to derive on my own...  So, it's time to play "stump the geeks".

How do I determine which DHCP server leased my address to me, without looking at
anything but my own machine?  Earlier, I had a machine that had a bad address, but I
blamed the wrong host for issuing the bad address.  I could have saved some time by
knowing which host issued the address.

How do I find out the order or times of package installations on my machine?  All
weekend, I've been using imapsync, which has an unstated dependency on
libdate-manip-perl.  I wanted to transfer the job to another machine, but I couldn't
remember the unstated dependency.  I could have saved time and a failed run of imapsync,
by just asking my system, "What did I install right after I installed imapsync?" but I
couldn't figure out how to ask that.

Ok geeks, ring in when ready.

Dave, I'm sorry, I'm burning two questions that would have been good ones for the "geek
tournament".

-- David