[clue-tech] DHCP Server and Package Install Date

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Aug 10 22:27:33 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
> How do I determine which DHCP server leased my address to me, without looking at
> anything but my own machine?  Earlier, I had a machine that had a bad address, but I
> blamed the wrong host for issuing the bad address.  I could have saved some time by
> knowing which host issued the address.

You shouldn't have multiple DHCP servers on the same subnet, the
protocol doesn't allow it (where are they at with failover, anyway?)
There's something to be said for paying attention to what you've done
and what you're doing.

You can run multiple servers on multiple subnets on the same LAN segment
but you have to be pretty careful.  And even without DHCP that's the
road to madness so don't do it.  (Unless you're a big time VLAN guy,
maybe they get used to doing that.)

As Peter said the DHCP server gets logged when the lease is granted (and
ipconfig shows it right to you on Windows).  If you have machines
sharing IP addresses, that's bad too.  Then you have to differentiate by
MAC but your arp table only shows the latest entry.

> How do I find out the order or times of package installations on my machine?  All
> weekend, I've been using imapsync, which has an unstated dependency on
> libdate-manip-perl.

You're kidding, right?  Life is too short to deal with "unstated
dependencies".  Use something that isn't junk.

I should get a blog.  Then I could put a rant up about how important it
is to keep track of how things work when other people have to use your
stuff.  Einstein didn't have to remember his phone number because it was
easy to look up.  But that's only because someone bothered to write it
down for him.  (I have a feeling about how dependency management makes
or breaks distros, but that goes on the blog.)

> I wanted to transfer the job to another machine, but I couldn't
> remember the unstated dependency.  I could have saved time and a failed run of imapsync,
> by just asking my system, "What did I install right after I installed imapsync?" but I
> couldn't figure out how to ask that.

aptitude and dpkg keep logs of what they do.  Of course logs tend to get
rotated out but I seem to have dpkg logs almost a year old.

> Ok geeks, ring in when ready.
>
> Dave, I'm sorry, I'm burning two questions that would have been good ones for the "geek
> tournament".

If you try to grade this I won't answer any more questions. :-)