[clue-tech] DHCP Server and Package Install Date

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 11 18:52:53 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
[...]
> Dave.  I know not to have two DHCP server on the same subnet.  The machine that gave the
> bad address was a rogue, but I didn't know ~which~ machine had brought up the rogue DHCP
> server...

In that case you can use nmap to see who's answering on DHCP.  It seems
to work pretty well, at least for my simple case.  You decide whether
it's easier than wireshark or grepping the logs.

nmap -sU -p67 10.211.63.0/24

You can also use netcat to send a DHCP discover and see who answers with
wireshark (especially if you keep a DHCP discover payload handy).
netcat won't show you replies in this case but it might be easier to use
than dhclient.

> And your preferred IMAP mailbox synchronizing tool is?  imapsync's not junk, it just has
> that one tiny disabling flaw.  :-)

Sorry, I didn't mean that imapsync is junk.  The package that you're
using is junk.  That dependency is correct in Debian.  Here's a nickle,
kid.  Get yourself a better distro. :-)