Distro value added [was Re: [clue-tech] DHCP Server and Package Install Date]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Aug 11 22:37:35 MDT 2008

Collins Richey wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 6:52 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I didn't mean that imapsync is junk.  The package that you're using
>> is junk.  That dependency is correct in Debian.  Here's a nickle, kid.  Get
>> yourself a better distro. :-)
>
> That one's a keeper! Of course, those poor slobs who don't run Debian
> will wrinkle their noses.

Yes, thanks to Scott Adams.  But Debian was just the easiest package
site for me to look up.  I'd expect any distro to get the dependencies
right.

So what value do distributions add?

- pre-built software (the bare minimum)
- correct dependencies
- upgrades that work

Is there something more fundamental than those?