[clue-tech] bandwidth issues

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Sat Aug 16 09:50:08 MDT 2008

I have most of what's on the LAN here (3 machines at the moment and the
firewall/router,  a 486 box running linux) playing well together.  But!

One family member,  running XP,  I think (some version of windoze anyhow) is
hogging bandwidth here.  "Downloading a movie" I'm told.  It's at the point
where it's starting to seriously interfere with other LAN traffic,  like
crashing my music,  which only wants 56k of my 768k of available download
bandwidth.

What options are there to limit the usage on that particular machine?
Something I can configure in the firewall/router?  Something else?

The other option being that I can pull the plug,  but that's gonna trigger the
kind of confrontation that I'd rather avoid if at all possible...

Help?

-
M Dakin