[clue-tech] Running a command as a user who can't log in

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Aug 17 19:02:10 MDT 2008

Hi Folks.

Well, I was a bit surprised by this.

I'm wanting to execute a command as a user that has /sbin/nologin as its
shell, from a logrotate conf file, as in:

  prerotate
	su -c /usr/bin/webalizer webalizer
  endscripts

But when I try it from the command line (as root), just as it's typed
above, I get

  This account is currently not available.

I'm wondering if this restriction applies only when doing it from an
interactive session, and will work fine when executed in the context of
cron. I guess I can experiment with that.

But if anyone has any wisdom to toss at this issue, feel free.

jed