[clue-tech] Linux HAMs?

Ed ejy at SummitBid.com
Fri Aug 22 11:11:15 MDT 2008

Nate (and the group),

Yes, my callsign is popular with some of my old HF contester buddies. The
ones who were into CW contesting especially liked to use my call because
when working pileups it's common to just send "QRZ FU" or "FU"  for "who is
calling NL7FU" and work the next station. They got a kick because as you
know "FU" is also a pretty in your face way to tell someone off, so they
loved the idea using the "FU" call. Crazy bunch of guys those old school
contesters.

Sadly, it seems HF and Ham Radio in general is under pressure by commercial
interests who covet the bandwidth.

I often think about how Ham Radio was really the first internet. There are
many many similarities.

I've been a ham since I was about 12 years old, and had some really cool
experiences talking to people all over the world from Alaska.

I also worked King Hussein of Jordan who was a ham, listened to traffic
during the Bosnian war, and worked tons of guys on little islands in the
Pacific who always had cool stories to tell. Before the wall came down the
eastern Europeans were an interesting bunch to work too. Maybe the coolest
QSO I had was with the guy who is a direct descendant of the first mate who
led the mutineers of the Bounty, and who still lives on Pitcairn island. I
didn't know the story, and he related it to me over a long 80 meter QSO. So
I first heard the story of the Mutiny on the Bounty from the direct
descendant of Fletcher Christian on an 80 meter ham radio conversation. Got
to like that.

All that stuff you mentioned below is completely unfamiliar to me, but it
doesn't take much to get me intrigued. I'll have to follow the links and
have a look. Maybe one day we'll have an "eyball QSO" and you can demo some
of it.

73 de NL7FU (Ed)

Ed