[clue-tech] Fall and penguins.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Aug 23 16:42:45 MDT 2008

The next installfest date is now set for the 20th of September in the
DTC.  http://cluedenver.org/display.php?node=installfest

(Sorry, you thought this might be interesting when you read the subject.)

(The following is long.  Trim your posts if you reply.)

(The bottom line: can we do anything at installfest to let regular
people know that there's an alternative to Mac and Vista?  Not that they
*should* switch but that they *can* switch.)

It occurs to me, after conversations with different people, that
installing Linux isn't really that tricky anymore.  So I wonder whether
we can adapt what we do to meet a broader audience.

I've suggested in the past that new users might like to hear about the
history of UNIX/Linux, or be introduced to the command line, or learn
the basics of networking.  So we could give some talks on those--sort of
a mega-KISS for those who remember those meetings.  There never seemed
to be much interest so we've never done such a thing.

Now I hear that new users don't really want a lot of detail on how to
partition, or build a kernel, or even necessarily how to find the right
driver for their wifi card.  (They don't mind the latter but would
rather have it taken care of.)  What they want is how to do the things
they think computers are useful for.  In some cases they may really want
a Mac, but we're not here to help Mac users.

The CLUE goal: "we advocate the GNU/Linux operating system" (maybe goal
is the wrong word for that statement).  So what could we provide that
would make installfest more interesting to those who don't care how
computers work but rather how to use them?  (Sort of a drivers ed class
rather than engine repair.)  Anyone want to bring their non-technical
family to experiment on?

I've heard people say, "I don't know Linux well enough to teach anyone."
  Of course that's not true for anyone who uses Linux, but maybe there
are people who know how to play commercial DVDs (you know, the CSS
protected kind), or rip DVDs so you can play them from a hard drive, or
make cool logos with the GIMP, or heck, I don't know.  Anyone like that
want to come and do demos?

Here's a few things we've solved at installfest lately:

- which is the right wifi driver for my card (Ubuntu didn't detect it,
or if it did, didn't download the firmware blob needed).

- difficulties due to using a live CD installer on marginal hardware
(whether because the hardware was old/underpowered or new/not well
supported)

- impatience when a PII or older takes forever to install packages

- how to port an app to WINE

- getting Windows to coexist with Linux

So the first is a tech support issue--we can provide that to anyone who
wants to come.  I once was at an Apple store (pre-genius bar era) and
the techs weren't able to help much beyond reformat/reinstall.  I was
tempted to put up a sign, "Mac answers $10" because I'd be willing to
troubleshoot a litte, which was all that was really necessary.

Should we offer quick fixes for people who just want to run in and out?
  Maybe even to non-Linux users (and perhaps charge for those?)  It
would take a lot of word of mouth to get anyone to come but we might be
swamped if we did well.  (Maybe we'd have to put a penguin sticker on
machines we fixed.  I have a Sun shirt that says, "no, I won't fix your
computer".  That old "I do this for a living, leave me alone when I'm
not at work" attitude.  Which doesn't fit the Linux community that I know.)

The next 3 are really geek problems.  Regular users aren't likely to try
to resurrect old hardware and such.  We have those covered pretty well.

The last, well, that should be built in to a distro like Ubuntu.  Or
you're talking about a Windows network, which isn't exactly easy even in
Windows.

Maybe Linux isn't quite ready for this kind of thing but I don't think
it's too early to start working on it.  A year or two ago wifi cards
meant ndis wrapper magic.  Now I've gotten 3 different cards to work for
people without any magic beyond installing the right package (those are
the ones with proprietary pieces--the all free ones are easy).  I think
Linux gets better faster than people find new uses for computers (not
gamers, people :-)

So can we do anything to attract a broader audience?  What do you think?