[clue-tech] DHCP Server and Package Install Date

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Mon Aug 25 10:11:16 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
>> If you have any questions let me know.
>>

> Questions:
>
>  - How do the peers keep their memory of leases in sync, or don't they?

They are able to talk to each other and when  one goes down and the
other comes up it assumes the leases. When the master come back it will
sync the leases from slave and then take over again. Very nifty actually
(and you can watch all of this in the logs as it happens).
>  - What are the options for checking (by arp, I suppose) an address before I offer a
> lease for it?

Well that part is limited to how you set up your dhcp server. You create
a pool of IP's that will be handed out via DHCP and don't let anybody
else operate in that range. I typically start my pool at .50 with
everything prior to that being static. That assumes a class C of course.
I guess to *really* answer your question however I'd say if you don't
have anything pre-allocated like I suggested then yes, I would use arp.
>  - Where is the lease database?  If I do that check from the last question, where would
> the 'hits' be recorded, because, of course, I would want to investigate them and move
> them into a document of statics.

On RedHat/Fedora it is /var/lib/dhcpd/dhcpd.leases and you can see
things like
failover peer "dhcp-failover" state {
  my state normal at 4 2008/06/26 19:49:45;
  partner state communications-interrupted at 3 2008/02/06 19:41:27;
}

failover peer "dhcp-failover" state {
  my state normal at 4 2008/06/26 19:49:45;
  partner state normal at 3 2008/02/06 19:41:27;
}

so you can tell that the peers are communicating and syncing their
requests.