[clue-tech] Fall and penguins.

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Mon Aug 25 10:21:34 MDT 2008

Michael Riversong wrote:
> Somewhere in this thread children have been mentioned.  Some experience: from 2001 through 2005 i worked as the computer teacher at a small Christian school.  We had no budget for legal Windows licenses, so Linux became a good alternative.  Several distros were gathered and installed on donated machines, which were usually 2 generations obsolete.

My 8 year old LOVES her Dell Inspiron 8000 Linux Laptop running Kubuntu.
Her Favorites:
1. AMOR - An on-screen creature that wonders around.
2. Webkinz - Usable via FireFox
3. Amarok - Listens to her music and Webkinz and Story time podcasts
4. Pidgin - Using Openfire we have a private family chatroom setup so
she can talk to my wife and I and grandparents and friends.
5. Many many of the very nice KDE Edutainment games like the typing
tutor and various math games.

She is also very good at updating the security packages and is
continually on her grandpa when his Kubuntu says there are
security/package updates and "all he has to do is click here and then
here to update them and make the thing go away" :-)

So I guess my point is that Linux can be VERY useful to kids and has so
far proven to be bullet proof in my kid's hands.