[clue-tech] going wireless

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 20:40:16 MST 2008

<rtellason at verizon.net>wrote:

> > > Yes, you generally can't determine compatibility based on the brand.
> > > They can have different chipsets.  However, the good news is, just
> > > about everything works now.  I don't have a single wireless device that
> > > I can't get working with ndiswrapper.
> >
> > I used that for something before,  I can't recall just what at the
> > moment, but I also recall running into something on one of the web pages
> > that I was browsing yesterday or so that stated that this wasn't a good
> > option for at least some applications,  that the mode the app wanted to
> > use wasn't usable with ndiswrapper.
>
> I'm not sure... it might take a little bit more resources, but other than
> that, I don't see why it would be incompatible with any software.  It's a
> kernel module, yes.  Sometimes it doesn't support everything your wireless
> can do (e.g. monitor mode),

That might've been it,  perhaps.

> but unless you're trying to use kismet or airmon-ng,

And I don't recall whether those were among the applications I was seeing
listed yesterday or whenever it was.

> it shouldn't be a problem.  (And by the way, BackTrack 3 seems to have
> drivers for just about any wireless device in that case:
> http://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html.)

And that's one of the sites I was looking at.  :-)  I do think they said that
some stuff wouldn't work,  though,  and that they supported certain chipsets,
but not others,  I'm going to have to go back and look (this not-quite-2 boy
woke me up too early today,  _and_ yesterday,  so I'm a little sleep-deprived
at the moment.  :-)

> > > The best advice I can give is not to buy the cheapest thing if it's
> > > really new.  If you buy a card that's already a year old, you'll have a
> > > good chance of it working with at least ndiswrapper.
> > >
> > > (Too bad ndiswrapper doesn't have its hardware list anymore.)
> >
> > I did see some hardware listed here and there.  Now if I knew what
> > software I might want to run most I could load that up and get something
> > handy to test cards with,  if I end up getting something local...
>
> If you go to a local store that takes returns like microcenter, and you
> test out the product within a reasonable amount of time,  you can take it
> back if it doesn't work well...  actually that's probably a pretty good
> solution for you.

Actually since it's a laptop I was thinking about taking it along with me,
and seeing what might be received from there,  which would give me some
indication that the card was indeed working.  Dunno about "microcenter",  but
then I'm not around there where the rest of you guys are.  The downside to
this is that it might end up costing me way more that way than if I bought
something online,  but OTOH if I knew what I needed to get that might work I
could probably just buy something online...

I think I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see what they have.  In the meantime
I'm seeing some fairly inexpensive stuff listed in places like this:

http://www.txmicro.com/

Any other sites that you guys might point me at?

-
M Dakin