[clue-tech] FreeNX.

Wed Dec 10 13:26:42 MST 2008

>> Anyone know of ANY remote access applications on Linux or OSX that do
>> this that easily?  Just curious.  Not trolling.
>
> Unfortunately, no, and I've looked hard.  Microsoft's RDP-based remote
> administration and Terminal Services are head and shoulders above
> everything we currently have.  I understand that NX comes close, after
> some hair-pulling, but I've not yet gotten through the hair-pulling
> part successfully.  VNC works well, but is painfully slow, and doesn't
> work well in unreliable networks.  Screen is perfect, but, of course,
> it's CLI.  We need something like it for the GUI.

If I am following the request and question here, NX does permit audio to be played from the remote host Linux/Solaris system through the client.  Have I tried it personally, no since we use this primarily for servers running virtual machines behind a firewall with only ssh access so that we can use the GUI tools (no flaming here ;-)) for a "big picture" and VNC/RDP into said virtual machine(s).

Any chance you might do a FreeNX session at CLUE soon?  I'd really love to see that.

The problem is though if you want to do M$ Windows to M$ Windows, NX is not an option on the host end.

If you're Windows at the server end, you don't ~need~ NX.  Every Windows has RDP built in.