[clue-tech] SPAM trap

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Sat Dec 13 18:42:33 MST 2008

Thanks to all,

I have already de-spamitized my forms (without Captcha). I am capturing the IP addresses. What I would like to do if possible is to track the IP back to a
country.  If it originated in Timbuktu, then I would like to take a stab at a generalization. Folks living in Timbuktu really don't need the services of a local
car mechanic, dentist, whatever.  Since a spammer's IP address may change if DHCP, is it reasonable to block anything from submitting that comes from the root?

If 200.199.198.01 is a spammer and originates in Timbuktu
Will anything coming from 200.199.198 be coming from the same locale, same country?  If so then the sub-address (net or whatever) gets added to the deny list.

The other thing, whether worthwhile or not, as I collect these IPs I hope to get around to reporting them to the internet spam police, whomever that is.

-Bob

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!