[clue-tech] Any experience with Logitech Squeezebox?

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Mon Dec 15 22:36:07 MST 2008

Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> Cnet says it's open source, or at least supportive, plays open source music formats and the box specifically mentions running on Linux.
>
> Has anyone played with it?  I found one for $260, but it is still a little steep for me.  I've been on a lookout for something expandable and easy to use for my children.  I'm tired of them loosing my CD cases and placing my CD face down.  :)
>
> I've had my music on a server for a while now, but no way yet to access it at my entertainment center.

Download the free squeezebox server from here
http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_features.html and install.

I've had it installed on Linux and Windows with little problem.

The cool thing is that there is an included Java based squeezebox that
you can run on any other machine so can see exactly what the squeezebox
will do for you. I've been meaning to purchase one of these for years
and instead I seem to throw old laptops at the problem instead.

Slimdevices was bought out a couple of years ago by Logitech and to
Logitech's credit, it doesn't seem they have done anything to kill the
open and hackable nature of the squeezebox.