[clue-tech] Setting up Network printer in CUPS?

Adrian F. Nagle, IV anagle at naglenet.org
Tue Feb 5 15:07:26 MST 2008

I'm trying to setup an HP-LaserJet6P/MP laser printer on a Linux
(Debian)/Samba server.  I have my Linux server all running now but I
can't get my HP printer (hooked up to a Hawking HPS1P parallel-port
print server) to work with CUPS.

The Hawking print server worked okay for a number of years with
several XP boxes.

In CUPS, I tried to add the LaserJet through the web interface and
print a test page.  I tried a number combinations of IPP or HTTP, but
no test page would print out, until 30mintues/1hour later I find two
copies of the CUPS test page.

I've followed this tidbit I found:
http://www.hawkingtech.com/newsdetails.php?NewsID=20

I'm stuck at how to diagnose this issue.  One complication is that I
tried to print directly from windows recently using IPP, but the print
server appears to crash (I can't check it through HTTP).  Hawking just
suggested adding an LPD.

Does anyone have experience with a parallel port print server?

I need to have this set up in Samba as well.  I'm not sure yet what I
need to to do have my users see the printer.

Thank you!

Adrian
--
Adrian Nagle (anagle at naglenet.org)            http://www.naglenet.org/
"There can be no thought of finishing, for 'aiming at the stars,' both