[clue-tech] Using a terminal/console for the desktop

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 11 10:29:53 MST 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Does anyone know of a package or way that I can turn the default
> "desktop" (i.e. that thing that has a background and displays the
> ~/Desktop folder) into just a console/terminal application?  I wasn't
> able to find anything that does this on search.

Did you try ctrl+alt+F1 to get to virtual console 1 (as opposed to the
virtual console running your X session)?  If that's not what you want
you need to add detail to your question.

Besides midnight commander for file browsing you can use screen to get
multiple consoles in one (you also have vc2 through vcn but you have to
log in to each of them, unless you adjust how they're run).