[clue-tech] How do I disable entrance to prevent it from automatically starting up?

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 14 18:28:40 MST 2008

OK I've been toying with the latest gOS 2.0 beta
released at CES.  Since the gOS window manager is
Enlightenment E17 they opted to use entrance (as in
bewitch not doorway) instead of gdm as the display
manager in version 2.0.

(FYI the display manager is the graphical login
screen.  Why couldn't they just call it the login
screen manager?  It would be a lot less confusing.)

Entrance doesn't have an auto-login setting (yet?) so
I decided to install gdm instead.  Unfortunately after
installing gdm, selecting gdm as the default display
manager wasn't enough to disable entrance.  Instead,
entrance starts up on display 0 and gdm is forced to
use the next available display.  So I figured I'll
just uninstall entrance.  The developers of gOS in
their infinite wisdom made the greenos-artwork package
depend on the entrance-theme-greenos package which
depends on entrance.  So by uninstalling entrance, I
end up with the default enlightenment artwork which
btw clashes nicely with the forest green wallpaper.

So is there a way I can uninstall entrance without
uninstalling entrance-theme-greenos, i.e. break/ignore
the dependency?  Or is there someone more familiar
with the low-level configuration of entrance who could
tell me how to prevent it from starting up.  My
initial poking around found a /etc/init.d/entrance
file.  Incidently, gOS 2.0 has Ubuntu Gutsy under the hood.