[clue-tech] Mini-itx and pico-itx

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Jan 31 00:52:52 MST 2008

On Jan 30, 2008, at 5:57 PM, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> So, I was reading an article detailing someone putting together a
> pico-itx
> from a barebones kit, and I got to wondering about these. Right now,
> it
> looks a tad expensive, so I started casting around for what's up with
> mini-itx systems.

I've built a couple using the early EARLY mini-ITX Via boards, bought
from vendors I found out later were too high-priced.  Heh heh... so I
wouldn't recommend them now.

But the Soekris and others seem to really have come along nicely and
some of the SBC type offerings are cheaper now.  Mini-ITX kinda headed
off toward the market segment that covered the quiet PC's needed with
big CPU's and MPEG-hardware capable video cards for things like MythTV
front-ends, after a while there, and also into the Car PC/Car-puter
market segment... and routers and firewalls seemed to go more into the
SBC hardware and smaller.

Typing "tiny linux firewall" into Google found THIS announcement, and
for $220?  Not bad...

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS2319765902.html

Do-it-yourself and the desire to do so, I get... but that thing's
"done and baked" and available for just over $200?  It'd be awfully
tempting to just get something like that and move on to doing
something more interesting than building a firewall... especially with
the feature-set they've already hacked into that thing.

So in the end, it all depends on what you want to do.  I get it if
you're dead-set against buying something already baked, but even their
hardware and bootstrapping it up with your own copy of Linux and going
to town, wouldn't be too bad a deal.

This board only has one LAN port, but a friend bought one, and it's
working flawlessly for what he's using it for.  Damn cheap too, for
all that stuff....

http://store.mo-co-so.com/intel-d201gly2-fanelss-mini-itx-motherboard-p-79.html

You could add another Ethernet to it, I assume.  I haven't hunted that
website for alternatives they might have that would have another
Ethernet port so it'd make a better firewall.   Just clicked on their
motherboard offerings, and apparently they have one Intel that's
cheaper still by $10, and the Jetway line.  I've seen the Jetways
talked about on some other lists and no serious complaints about them,
that I've seen, but that could be Googled too... of course!  (GRIN)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com