[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 8 08:46:33 MDT 2008

Louis Miller wrote:
> Dear Jed,
>
>      The one I wanted to use was Fluxbuntu, but I couldn't get accurate information on the website about when they were releasing new versions. It seemed underfunded. There was supposed to be some bugs to it. What version of Linux do you fly? I think you said it was Fedora Core 6 or something like that?
>
>      I tried xfce, and with the newest one, I couldn't reconfigure the screen resolution. I think you have to do it with the command line. That might be a good idea for a topic for a future LUG presentation, about lightweight window managers, but it might be over my head.

I'm an XFCE fan.  The screen settings are  a little confusing, there are
multiple apps to change settings:

"Desktop Settings"
"Display Settings" - the one you want
"Window Manager Settings"
"User Interface Settings"
"Window Manager Tweaks"

You can get automatic compositing turned on and working if you change
your x conf.  But it took up too many CPU cycles for me.

I really like XFCE for the "icon box" in lieu of the "task list" because
the icons are bigger and take up less space.  Also, if you set
"Agualemon" under Window Manager Settings, and "xfce-cadmium" under User
Interface Settings, the window decorations are pretty sweet.

Angelo