[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 8 08:54:02 MDT 2008

Louis Miller wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
>     I have been trying to learn Linux and coming to the meetings pretty regularly for a year and a half. But, I don't think I learned Linux. I think that the Ubuntu desktop just got easier. I managed to use LinuxMint and then Ubuntu Hardy Heron, and now I can do almost everything with Linux, but suddenly I wonder if I have made any progress at all.
>
>     Maybe, my next step should be to try to learn a lightweight window manager, which must be an essential component to a lightweight distro, or using the command line more and eventually trying to get away from Ubuntu to a more advanced Linux distro. But, it doesn't seem like there is an intermediate step between Ubuntu and Gentoo or ArchLinux. How does one go from Gnome to Fluxbox? It is a huge leap. I think what you guys were saying is that Gnome is like Micro$soft in that it gives users the Disney effect and takes them away from so many of the functions and how the computer really works, not to put words in your mouths.
>
>     I installed Fluxbox with synaptic, last night, and I couldn't figure out what to do with the buttons when I tried to insall themes. I don't know what to do with the files I downloaded, wether to move them or extract them. I don't understand those processes. I don't know what the computer needs to do internally.

I don't know anyone who knows EVERYTHING about Linux.  So you should
pick the things you're interested in:  try to get something running the
way you want it.  If nothing comes to mind, at least start doing simple
tasks on the command line to do things like search for files, check for
network traffic, etc.  Just anything that's sort of useful.

Angelo