[clue-tech] internet phone

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 8 11:16:30 MDT 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Louis Miller wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>>     Does anyone use Ekiga or Skype? If so, would it be their regular
>> phone, or would they need a cellphone or a home phone to back it up.?
>> If they need a backup, then it seems like a toy, rather than a tool.
>> I guess Ekiga is open source, while Skype is proprietary, so that
>> makes Skype seem like the uglier option. I was thinking of heading to
>> Micro-Center to get a headset to play around with it. Maybe, if
>> someone else uses Ekiga and knows the ins and outs of how to
>> configure it (the configuration screens seem pretty complicated), and
>> they are willing to let me practice calling them, that might weigh
>> into my decision on wether to purchase a headset.
>>

> I use Skype on Linux.  I only use it to get a decent rate on
> International calls.  I've never been comfortable with using it as my
> regular phone, but that's because my Internet access is less than
> reliable.  I don't know much about Ekiga, but Skype's algorithm is
> good:  the sound quality is really nice most of the time.  Things like
> Skype are pay-as-you-go so you can just try it out if you want.  I got
> the Philips 080 VOIP phone for Skype, and I like it a lot.  It's
> priced reasonably too:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Philips-VOIP-Skype-Travel-Phone/dp/B000GKD150

Actually, I just remembered that I use this phone on my Windows
machine.  I don't remember if I ever got it working with Linux, but I do
remember using Skype on Linux.  (So I'm not sure.)  It's been a little
while.  If someone is seriously interested in that phone, let me know
and I can test to see if I can get it working first.

Angelo