[clue-tech] mount second hard drive

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Jul 16 09:54:33 MDT 2008

'likes' is sooooo overused.  'tolerate' comes to mind unless of course
you're talking beer, i.e. imported generic BEER in a white can with 12
oz in size 48 font.

I reran the commands and recleansed the output.  When I used 'script'
yesterday it dumped a load of control characters into the output which
although I mostly cleaned it up it clouded the output.

*Without the external disk mounted:*

root at syncsync:~# vgscan --mknodes
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
 No volume groups found
 No volume groups found

*Here I connected the external disk via USB:*

root at syncsync:~# vgscan --mknodes
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
 Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

root at syncsync:~# vgscan
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
 Found volume group "VolGroup00" using metadata type lvm2

root at syncsync:~# ls -l /dev/mapper
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root root  10, 63 2008-07-16 02:43 control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  0 2008-07-16 09:40 VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  1 2008-07-16 09:40 VolGroup00-LogVol01

root at syncsync:~# lsmod | grep dm_mod
dm_mod                 62660  5 dm_mirror,dm_snapshot

root at syncsync:~# vgchange -a y
 2 logical volume(s) in volume group "VolGroup00" now active

root at syncsync:~# ls -l /dev/mapper
total 0
crw-rw---- 1 root root  10, 63 2008-07-16 02:43 control
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  0 2008-07-16 09:40 VolGroup00-LogVol00
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 254,  1 2008-07-16 09:40 VolGroup00-LogVol01
root at syncsync:~#

-Bob

--
Bob Meetin
dotted i - Internet Strategies & Solutions