[clue-tech] unrecognized package

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 30 09:35:23 MDT 2008

Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I'm running Ubuntu.  I remember installing the guarddog package a while
> back.  I want to remove it, but:
>
> root at goldenrule /etc/init.d $ locate guarddog | grep -v data3
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/guarddog.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/guarddog.list

Have you run updatedb?  Maybe those files aren't really there.

If they are then your previous uninstall wasn't complete.  Maybe some of
those are conffiles and you need to purge rather than remove.  In any
case, reinstall and then remove.  Or just delete them by hand.

If you do reinstall and you use a newer version than originally you
should check to make sure all those files are still in the package.