[clue-tech] multihomed ISP and BGP

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Thu Jul 31 14:31:55 MDT 2008

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Questions for the group:
>
> 1. Am I justified in preferring symmetric links over asymmetric links?  Why or
> why not?

Even though it's been a long time since I learned about BGP, one would
expect that the best route there is the best route back at any given
time.  So any asymmetric link would definitely be less efficient than it
could be, right?  Is there a reason at the BGP level that the best route
there wouldn't be the best route back?

> 2. Is $ISP justified in not having any weighted preferential networking on
> any of their connections?  Why or why not?

I say no, but maybe out of ignorance.  I consider it a question that
needs to be justified... we don't need a "why not" to justify
weights--it's assumed that weights will provide information about the
best network to take.

Angelo