[clue-tech] The Ubuntu step-child.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Jun 29 20:20:17 MDT 2008

Why is it that kubuntu and edubuntu are both part of main, while xubuntu
is part of universe (looking for the xubuntu-desktop package and xfce*)?

Silly me, to think that after installing from the xubuntu CD I only
needed to have main and restricted to upgrade.  That's a fairly small
mirror to make (6GB, I think) to have the rest of the stuff you might
want to install.

But no, the xubuntu desktop stuff is in universe so I need to mirror
that.  And the xubuntu project doesn't provide their own separate main
to hold that stuff.

So now I have to decide whether to mirror universe (an extra 14GB).  The
alternative is to use the xubuntu install CD to upgrade.  I assume I
won't need any extra software (this system is pretty vanilla) from
universe but does software in universe get updated between releases?

It looks like it probably does, whenever.  Anyone have any experience
mirroring ubuntu?