[clue-tech] Why is rm so slow?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jun 30 17:59:08 MDT 2008

David L. Willson wrote:
> How do I get rm to stop "sweeping up", and just mark the space available, instead?  It
> takes a ridiculous amount of time to delete large files.

Why do you think rm is sweeping up?  Just because it's slow?  I'm
betting it doesn't do that (since there's no option to turn it off).
You may be thinking of shred.

What kind of filesystem?  What block size?  What mount options
(caching)?  What drive interface?  Any chance you have marginal blocks
on the disk?

If you have to move all the blocks to the free list synchronously, it
might take a bit.