[clue-tech] Anyone set up an HD Tivo with Comast?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Tue Mar 11 12:05:38 MDT 2008

Robert L. Harris wrote:

> ~  I have 2 other standard TiVo's but my HD Tivo arrives tomorrow.
> Anyone know any
> gotchas I should have in mind?  I need to call comcast and have them
> provide a 'cable card'
> is all I've heard so far.

I've been watching the HD TiVo with interest, and the major "gotcha"
coming up in a few years is that the cable companies are trying HARD not
to support CableCard standards.

They're required (by law) to support the standard, but they're moving
channels they deem "unimportant" to a new modulation scheme that saves
them RF bandwidth on the cable plant, and hiding behind some loopholes
when CableCard customers scream that they can't get the channel anymore,
but they're paying for it.

This battle is REALLY big in Southern California right now, not
Comcast... but I'm sure all the cable systems are "watching" how the
legal issues come out.

Additionally with CableCards in the TiVo, you will not have any of the
"on-demand" or other features that require communication back upstream
to the Comcast servers, etc... things available through the normal
Comcast box.

The TiVo has a so-called "one-way" CableCard interface inside the TiVo,
and there IS a "two-way" standard, but TiVo chose not to support it.
Whether or not TiVo can come to some agreements to just "turn that on"
after figuring out how to talk to some of these cable company services
-- or if it's a built in hardware limitation, I've not found that info.

TiVo is "partnered" with Comcast in the Northeast (Maine, I believe) so
that bodes well for TiVo owners in other Comcast territory, but remember
that much of the outside plant and gear here in Colorado is really the
old AT&T Broadband network, depending on where you live... so the
capabilities and functionality of "Comcast" isn't the same everywhere,
on the technical side and in their head-end... assuming that large
corporations love "standardization", this will slowly change over time
as gear is switched out and things get updated... but if something
requires an outside plant change... don't count on Comcast putting a lot
of capital into the Denver market.

(Example, from discussions with friends back there, Indianapolis is WAY
ahead of Denver on back-end speed capabilities on "Comcast"... of all
weird things.  It's all related to the gear that's out in the field in
the outside plant there, versus here.)

Also the closer you get to "FIOS Territory" where Verizon is the RBOC or
CLEC in any particular area, back east... the cable companies really
stretch to go faster... FIOS where it's available is kicking their
butts.  I hold no breath for Qwest ever having the capital to really do
FIOS, ever... too expensive out here.  Too much territory to cover.
They have their Highlands Ranch fiber-to-the-house test site, and never
took it any further, really.  There's also a couple of fiber-fed
neighborhoods up in Ft. Collins/Longmont area, but they were private
ventures, and not Qwest's doing.

A friend asked me the other day... he wants to receive off-air HDTV and
have a DVR that works well, but he does NOT want to build MythTV or
build anything, he wants to buy it.  He was wondering what options he
had.  I sadly said that unless he could find folks who build Myth boxes
and sell them, his next best bet was probably a Media Center PC.  Ugh...
not a lot of options for off-air recording to a DVR without building it
yourself, and that's kinda sad, since the very best network signals come
from their own transmitter towers.  Satellite and Cable are compressed
at the head-end, to varying degrees, and while the signal you're getting
is "HD" -- they've stolen out a lot of the bits from the original
broadcast.

Will be interesting to see if that's the next political battle...
content providers requiring a specific level of compression or less in
their contracts... "Thou shalt not compress our signals more than X
percentage." types of mandates to cable and satellite providers.  May
already be happening, that wouldn't be something they'd share with us
lowly "consumers" unless it made them look good.  "We never compress
anyone more than X."  Problem is, most people don't know they compress
the HD signals, anyway.

Nate