[clue-tech] Installfest wrap.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue May 13 22:16:11 MDT 2008

We had a good installfest last Saturday.  And for those who like the big
blue room, you'll note that we left you the nicer day to expose yourself
to the elements.

For those who didn't come because you don't like installfest, let me
know why.  Maybe we can make it better (but we'll probably just say,
"where's the patch?" ;-)

About 15 people came, counting wives (but not kid).  Dennis showed off
his EEE.  Pretty cool.  We had a decent number of gurus (including David
Wilson complete with Fedora) so it was pretty easy going.

There were 5 fresh installs of Hardy Heron that all went pretty
successfully.  One was specifically to fix wifi on an old Kubuntu
install and Collins took care of the ndiswrapper magic.  Two others
needed firmware for the b43 driver and installing Ubuntu's fwcutter took
care of downloading and installing that, no magic required.

And two systems got set up to share a FAT partition with their Windows
boot-mates, despite the gurus forgetting where file ownership and
permissions are stored for FAT (hint, it ain't anywhere in the partition).

chown: changing ownership of `/share': Operation not permitted...  What
the %$#@!

Four of us (plus wife & kid) had dinner afterwards and that was cool too
since we skipped lunch.  A guy in a Fedora wanted to order lunch but he
was too slow to say so.  And he skipped dinner for some theater event.
Sigh.

The next installfest will be in July, watch here for the actual date.