[clue-tech] Unslug 6.10 beta and RAID1

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon May 26 17:41:50 MDT 2008

Hi CLUEbies,

I have a Cisco/Linksys NSLU2 and a couple of huge USB hard
drives attached.  It is all a new setup so I didn't have any
data or config I wanted to keep.

Before setting up any file shares I proceeded to make the
whole thing run on RAID1, the root filesystem, data, etc.  I
followed a fairly helpful but somewhat incomplete HOWTO, and
it's all set up with nice RAID1 mirrors.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else has actually done
this and tried to use the Linksys web CGI to add users once
the SLUG is running with all RAID block devices.  Somehow the
CGI knows if you have an ext3 formatted hard drive around,
but it incorrectly assumes that the drive is going to be
either /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.  Unfortunately my block devices
are /dev/md1 through /dev/md4.

The CGI won't let me add users and shares because it doesn't
know about RAID.  It pops up the following error dialog box in
my web browser:

Warning: No HDD with EXT3 format available, operations on user,
group and share are disabled.

Does anyone out there know how to convince the CGI that there is
in fact a really nice EXT3 filesystem (that it's running from!),
but just not called /dev/sdaX or /dev/sdbX.

I looked at all the FAQs and of course trolled all the scripts and
config files and didn't see anything interesting.  And of course
the source code to the [all-binary] Linksys CGIs is CLOSED so maybe
all we can do is speculate wildly as to what it's doing.

Thanks,
JimO

--
Jim Ockers, P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)