[clue-tech] Getting XP laptop ready for duel boot install at installfest

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Nov 1 16:55:09 MDT 2008

On Nov 1, 2008, at 3:44 PM, Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:

> I've run the XP defrag several times to clean up my hard drive (it
> was bad).  I'm using 26 of 52Gb drive.  There are still file
> fragments spread out over the sparse second half of the drive.  So
> repartitioning will not work.  Is there something more I can do to
> clean up the drive?

Are the things that aren't moving things marked by Microsoft's
Defragmentation tool as "unmovable"?

These are often things like the system swap file (a linux term...
whatever Windows calls it... "Virtual memory") and other system files
that are in use and can't safely be moved while the whole OS is up and
running from the hard disk.

There are *commercial* applications that can take the machine down to
a bare DOS boot during a reboot that can move these while they're not
in use, like "Diskeeper", but they're kinda expensive.  I haven't seen
any Free-as-in-beer options that do this well/safely yet, but I'll
admit since my main machine has been a Mac for some time now, and the
servers are Linux, I'm just not paying attention to such things much
anymore.  So there may be something that works well out there.

The technique this old computer guy has used in the past isn't
appealing, but it does work... repartition and then REINSTALL
everything.  That gets into a lot of work, though.  One of the things
you may consider if you decide to follow that difficult a path is to
invest in learning a free or buying a commercial drive imaging
solution... that way, once you've reinstalled your base OS you can
shoot an image, and then again after you've reinstalled your
applications.  Then finally another every so often after your personal
data is back on the partition... that way, you can always "get back
to" a fully working system quickly.  This technique seems to be
popular with company IT departments these days... I can hand my work
laptop in for "re-imaging" at any time, along with a list of
applications I'm authorized to have that aren't part of the base
image... if I'm willing to handle putting my own data back on the
machine myself.

(I do wish they'd put in a "continuous-backup" system for the data
that's part of the image... that would be easier than copying
everything to a USB-connected disk, but a lot more expensive... so I
do understand why it'd be a bad business decision... my time is still
less valuable than paying for a giant backup system.)

Generally I use this technique at home now, with rsync and if I ever
get time to mess with it for one of the Windows machines, BackupPC...
handling the day-to-day data backups.

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com