[clue-tech] Linux server, backups...

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 2 09:20:40 MST 2008

Angelo Bertolli wrote:
> Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
>> I was trying "cp -R /*", but that didn't feel right.  rsync seemed
>> overkill, but it's been ages since I used that.
>>
>> The next step would be to make a cron job of deleting the old and
>> sync'ing a new backup.  I think I've run out of room for two backups
>> at once.
>>
> rsync is definitely not overkill... it's very simple, especially if you
> just want to make a mirror of selected directories.  For incremental
> backups, you should use something like rdiff-backup which will is fairly
> straightforward.

In this case, since both drives are local, rsync is the same as cp -a
(it uses a different syntax, which might make it easier to get a more
sophisticated data set).  Unless you go through the effort to set up a
system that only copies changed files.

But that's what rdiff-backup does, so use it.  As for removing old
backups, when you do your backups run it with "remove backups older than
X" and then run it with "do the new backup".