[clue-tech] Getting XP laptop ready for duel boot install atinstallfest

F.L. Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Nov 2 18:00:20 MST 2008

Care to describe flaky?  If you mean slower and slower, your hdd may
need replacing.  I see this several times per year on client laptops and
copy the image to a new drive.  Restores it to as new performance.  A
100GB or 120GB hdd would allow you to create two larger partitions then
place your XP image in one.  Since you don't know if you have the
recovery disks, it might be good preventative maintenance in any event
if you want to continue using XP without too much hassle.

Often this type of hdd failure will not give an error, but check your
System Event Log and look for the Red Circle errors and see if any
indicate disk drive problems.  You might also download some diagnostic
software for the appropriate drive type and run it also.

YMMV,

Frank Whiteley