[clue-tech] if it's not too far out of scope... audacity

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Nov 3 17:59:28 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
[...]
> Bad packages or packages that don't exist, then you're back to the "dark
> ages" of compiling it yourself -- which isn't too bad for old hands at
> Unix, or developers... but the average user shouldn't be put through that.

Well, you can read the directions for compiling at:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/source

It's 4 dependencies and 1 command (well OK, 2 plus one to install).  So
it doesn't look very hard.

But you do have to know how to meet those dependencies.  Not hard to
learn but maybe distro specific.

The real problem with building yourself is that you don't have the
benefits of the package manager to uninstall or upgrade.  But if you
want to see how to compile yourself we can look at that at installfest.