[clue-tech] if it's not too far out of scope... audacity

mfarns at comcast.net mfarns at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 12:31:18 MST 2008

From: Michael Fierro <miguelito at biffster.org>

> A lot of us have been using Linux for so long that building from source is not a
> foreign concept. But don't let any of us talk you into it. [grin] Always check
> Synaptic for the software you want to install. I'd say 95% of the time, it'll
> already be packaged and ready to install. Synaptic takes care of dependencies
> 99% of the time, so there should almost never be a time when you have to build
> an app yourself.

As a brand-spanking newbie and in order to get wireless working, I compiled a few piles of source code. Though every fiber of my being was screaming, "YOU IDIOT!", it went amazingly well. Some stuff worked, some didn't, I learned a few things; and on the whole, it was cool. If I had to compile everything I used, I might abandon linux...but again maybe I wouldn't...

msf