[clue-tech] Mephis linux

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sat Nov 15 08:00:40 MST 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:24:33 -0700
Yuko Jonah wrote:

> Jed, thanks i understand that better. so what you are saying is
> simplymephis is as good as the Gold or silver/premium version.

I haven't used any of the Mepis products, so I don't know what the
differences are. Maybe they include licensed non-free stuff in the pay
versions. As for better or not, that depends on what you want. I think
you need to look at what the differences are, and decide for yourself
whether those things are worth spending money on.

JHMO, I think that for most people, the differences between the various
distributions these days doesn't come down to any objective standard of
"better". Some people prefer RPM-based systems. Some people like YAST.
And different packagers (Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe, etc.) make decisions about
options, themes, etc., which will be appealing to different sets of
people. Under the hood, it's still the Linux kernel.

jed