[clue-tech] Mephis linux

Mon Nov 17 16:02:53 MST 2008

Yuko,

I can't address Mepis specifically, but I might be able to address your concern about the apparent lack of "freeness".

 - Linux distribution creators are not obligated to allow redistribution of their trademarks.  For instance, both Mozilla and Red Hat require that products that are built from their products are "re-branded" so that it is clear that the receiver is not running Mozilla Firefox or Red Hat Linux.

 - Linux distribution creators are not obligated to provide updates "for free".  For instance, Red Hat charges an annual subscription fee for access to the latest versions of parts of Red Hat.

 - Linux distribution creators are not obligated to provide technical support "for free".  For instance, Canonical charges an annual fee per box for phone-based technical support.

However, Linux distribution creators must allow redistribution of their product, inasmuch as that product is derived from other free products.  For instance, Red Hat allows redistribution of their OS, but not the trademarks therein, which allows for derivative distributions like CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc...

Red Hat or Canonical might do this resentfully, like the makers of the TiVo did, but they don't.  They encourage the use and growth of derivative distros, and refer to them in positive terms during talks.

They generally go way "above and beyond" what is required.  Canonical and Red Hat both allow redistribution of verbatim copies of Ubuntu and Fedora, respectively.  They provide free updates.  They'll even ship you a pressed CD at no cost to you, if you ask for it.

This is an exciting time to be in the software industry.  Things are changing, and changing for the better.

--David