[clue-tech] "rewindable" drive?

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Nov 19 16:53:37 MST 2008

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 11:46:16 -0700 (MST)
David L. Willson wrote:

> In other words, I want to be able to "notice" that my server
> got cracked a minute, an hour, or a day after the fact, and then
> "rewind" it to just before the crack happened.

Best as I can recall, Oracle's "Internet File System", or whatever they
called it, put Oracle rollback segment, redo log, and archive log
capability underneath it. In effect, every write was treated like a
database commit. Though I don't see a way to actually utilize a
"rollback" statement when accessing it as a filesystem, so maybe they
didn't include the whole 9 yards, but with every write effectively
journaled similarly to a database commit, then point-in-time recovery
would be possible, as long as you did your backups properly.

Well, that was quite a while ago, so my recollection might be off, but
that's what I remember, anyway.

jed