[clue-tech] "rewindable" drive?

Angelo Bertolli angelo.bertolli at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 10:07:44 MST 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>> Maybe I didn't understand if the problem is more complex than this,
>> but I think zfs is the perfect tool for handling this kind of thing.
>> Since this is a small thing for a developer area, you can set up a
>> zfs file system in userspace under linux and not have to use
>> Solaris.  ZFS can be set up to track changes to the file system.
>>
>> At work we are using Solaris/ZFS + rsync to make backups, and it
>> works very nicely.
>>
>> Unfortunately Sun seems to have licensed ZFS open source, but
>> specifically to be incompatible with the GPL so it's going to be a
>> long time before you can use it on Linux without a performance hit.
>>

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZFS
>>

>> Angelo
>

> Interesting, I originally thought of ZFS too, but I didn't realize the
> Linux port was working 100% yet.  Is it?

I think it's working in userspace, but I admit we only use Solaris for
ZFS because we can't take the performance hit.

> It's still just a "snapshot", not a fully "time journaled" filesystem,
> and LVM2 could do snapshot type things also... but I like the ZFS
> syntax and setup better, just a personal preference.  Neat stuff.

Yeah, I like zpools better anyway too.  I mean it's such an easier way
to manage what is effectively a RAID5 or RAID6.

"ZFS is a transactional filesystem using copy-on-write semantics,
guaranteeing an always-consistent on-disk state without the use of a
traditional journal. However, it does also implement an intent log to
provide better performance when synchronous writes are requested."

--
Angelo Bertolli
http://angelo.bitfreedom.com/

~ I'm a sig virus. Please add me to your signature and help me spread! ~