[clue-tech] Firefox hijacked

Mon Nov 24 18:00:59 MST 2008

Bruce:  I'm sorry for the off-topic post and I won't do it again.  That said, I'm not a (or the) Windows user.  The Windows user is my customer.  I felt that the problem sufficiently involved Free software to justify the post.  I wish there were a more broadly scoped technical list.  Ah well.  Anyway, sorry.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Ediger" <eballen1 at qwest.net>
To: "CLUE tech" <clue-tech at cluedenver.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 1:39:53 PM GMT -07:00 US/Canada Mountain
Subject: Re: [clue-tech] Firefox hijacked

I'm not really scolding anyone,  I'm just remarking about how weird Windows
discussions seem.  I've always (well, since 1988) had a Unix or NeXT or NetBSD
or Linux box on the old kitchen table.  Until 2003, I managed to not even have
a Windows box on my desk at work.  Until 2006, I never even developed under
Windows, I just used it as a vehicle for PuTTY.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, someone wrote:

> Just my 2 cents - when I come across a windows system like this, several
> things will also happen.  ...

Are we not men?  Why are we discussing the VAST technical shortcomings of
Windows on a linux *technical* list?

It just goes to show you how magnificently lousy Windows is when the baroque
malfunctions are so esoteric that Windows users come to *linux* forums for help.

Now that I've done a little Windows development, I'm not surprised at how weak
the help in Windows forums is.  People imagine themselves Mighty Software
Engineers, when all they do is about 10 or 15 lengthy sequences of shortcuts,
and they know how to get Visual Studio .NET to do drop-down method selection.
They run on supersition and faulty logic.