[clue-tech] Pointing browser to one of many virtual hosts

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Oct 22 18:09:38 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 18:02 -0600, Gus Calabrese wrote:
> I have a server at 71.237.33.36.  The server is running a Xitami
> webserver which provides for multiple virtual hosts ; each with their
> own domain name.  For various reasons I would rather not use DNS
> services.
>
> Is there a way for a browser to be instructed to access 71.237.33.36
> and tell the webserver to access xyz.com virtual host ?

Run squid on 71.237.33.36 and use an /etc/hosts file on there that knows
about those domains.  Then point your browser's proxy at that server's
squid port.  I do this at home and work and use separate users (not my
default user) to access the squid enabled servers (sudo su -c firefox
otheruser, assuming you have your desktop properly configured to allow
other users to display on your desktop).

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org