[clue-tech] Fwd: Need a Linux device driver.

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 07:31:00 MDT 2008

From: "David L. Anselmi" <anselmi at anselmi.us>
> Here's a job post I was asked to forward.  I hope someone here can fill
> it.  Then you can tell me what coherent-memory allocation is (I've at
> least heard of DMA).
>
> What kind of devices use this stuff?  Is it very hard to write a device
> driver?  I've heard of tutorials but never got around to digging into
> them.  And how can I make the USB drivers turn the lights on my flash
> drives turn on and off the way Windows does?
>
> Dave

I never heard of coherent-memory allocation before.  Google didn't show much either.

Re USB drives, I have read that Windows powers down the USB port when you tell it you want to remove the drive.  Linux unmounts it, but doesn't power down the port since USB devices can be safely plugged in and unplugged.