[clue-tech] create account

Bob Meetin bobm at dottedi.biz
Wed Oct 29 20:22:06 MDT 2008

I've not had to do this command line before, so be kind as you educate
me.  I have root/sudo access:

I edited the /etc/vfstab file, copied a line and changed the numbers,
something like:

bobm:x:1002:1002::/home/bobm:/bin/sh

I presume the encryped passwd is stored elsewhere.  At Sun in UNIX it
was the /etc/shadow and the next step was to run something like pwconv,
but I don't remember.  I created a home directory and chown to me:

mkdir /home/bobm
chown bobm bobm

Do I do a sudo or su to bobm?

/home# su - bobm
su: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
(Ignored)

Despite the error this worked, however not sure how to set a new password.

Exited and switched back to root and Tried:

passwd bobm
Changing password for bobm.
(current) UNIX password:
passwd: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info
passwd: password unchanged

Something is up???

--
Bob Meetin
www.dottedi.biz

Hook up with me on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Plaxo Pulse and Bebo
or catch my blog at www.dottedi.biz/blog.php

Standards - you gotta love em - there are so many to choose from!