[clue-tech] My Wireless non-Ephiphany

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 1 13:36:33 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> If the wireless box can't replace the Actiontec, then I'd rather
> just have it become part of the LAN segment that exists off the
> Actiontec.

So there's a port on the netgear that it thinks is "Internet" and others
that it thinks are "LAN" (LAN includes the wireless part, probably).
Don't plug the Internet port into the Actiontec, plug in a LAN port
(possibly requiring a crossover cable if neither can autodetect who's a
switch).

You will have to turn off DHCP on the netgear.  I don't know that you
can set it to get an IP from the Actiontec's DHCP but you should be able
to give it a static one on the Actiontec's subnet (which is what you
want).  No problem to experiment with it and a PC standalone and then
plug it in to the Actiontec when it works (though the PC will also need
a static IP until the Actiontec is hooked in).

If you get to that point then you get to play with WEP/WPA/etc
authentication on the wireless side.  That shouldn't be hard but there
are lots of gotchas depending on what hardware/software are on either end.

HTH,