[clue-tech] My Wireless non-Ephiphany

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Sep 1 20:30:46 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> I'd like to assume that the "proper" way to set it up is quite
> similar for the various brands, just because they all have to mostly
> interoperate using established network standards. I don't know what
> brand I'll have next time I can play around with it.

Not exactly.  They all have similar capabilities.  But I have a subnet
on the LAN side of the DSL modem and another on the LAN side of the
wireless, which routes (and NATS, etc) between them.  That's maybe more
complicated than you want.

> Plugging in to a LAN port on my hub defeats part of the purpose, which is
> to use the hub for an isolated lan.

No, you don't plug into your hub.  You plug into your DSL modem
(Actiontec, right?)  It has at least one ethernet port.

>> You will have to turn off DHCP on the netgear.
>
> As soon as I did that, I couldn't talk to it anymore. It resets itself,
> and I don't know if at that point, it won't talk because it wants to get
> an IP address for itself but can't (seems logical to me) or what.

Maybe there's more than one step to turning off DHCP.  If it really does
what you describe it's broken.