[clue-tech] Collecting Spam

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Sep 7 17:11:49 MDT 2008

No, I haven't lost my mind, though sometimes I wonder.

I need to collect a representative sample of typical spam. I'm wondering
if the easiest way is create a dummy account on the server in question,
add it as an alias to the main spam recipient, let it build up
in /var/spool/mail for a bit, and then copy the contents of that user's
mail spool subdirectory to the machine where I need it -- creating the
identical dummy account there.

What I'm wanting to do is fling real junk mail at a test installation
of Postfix/procmail/Spamassasin, to test a config.

jed