[clue-tech] upstart

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Sep 8 19:40:52 MDT 2008

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 18:10:53 -0600
nate at natetech.com (Nate Duehr) wrote:

> dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > I doubt that the 6 run levels used by sysvinit are necessary.
> > Almost everyone either runs in single or multiuser mode.  I read
> > somewhere that the 6 levels (actually there are more but are not
> > used) are modelled after some switching device that ATT or some
> > company had, and someone thought it was a good idea to copy it.
>
> I can guarantee it.  Debian's really only used two run levels since
> -- oh, forever.  I doubt they'll be picking up this RH wackiness as
> their new "standard" either.

RH wackiness? upstart was written by and used in Ubuntu.
It's only recently been adopted by Fedora, and no RHEL release yet
ships with it.

> BSD servers seem to get along just fine with a single start script
> managing everything too, for the ultra-purists in the crowd.
>
> This new startup stuff is nothing more than "vendor lock in" to
> RedHat, if you ask me.

I sure can't see how. See above.

> (Uh oh, did I fan that fire?  Yep.  I went there.  RH wants to lock
> you in just like MS did in the 80s.  Naughty naughty RH.  Well,
> naughty if you didn't see it coming... and are somehow upset that
> they need a way to differentiate themselves from the Linux crowd.
> Duh.)

Do you have any kind of example or argument here?
Or you just dislike Red Hat?

...snip...

> So far, they're all not very compelling reasons to swap out SysV and
> switch to this thing, really.

The most compelling reason I saw was that this has a active set of
people working on it, while SysVinit does not. It's also easy to use in
sysvinit compatibility mode (as Fedora and I think Ubuntu are right
now).

...snip...

kevin